Friday, July 10, 2009

Knowing

Double feature yesterday ...

Another Nick Cage film, starring Nick Cage as Nick Cage. Ah, what are you going to do? At this point, he doesn't come any other way.

Regarding the film itself, the first thing that occurs to me is that there were some really good special effects. The sequence with the airplane crash was pretty spectacular, although it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the context of the entire film once it's played out.

Typically, I'm not very satiated with a good effects film that otherwise pretty much wasted my time. But Knowing did have some decent plot twists and enough freaky stuff going on that I was at least intrigued to see the ending. But there is the problem with how this film ends. Mass audiences simply are not going to go for a film that resolves this way, and I think that's where this film stumbles a bit. Always tough to take this kind of road, although the director Alex Proyas has had some success dealing with (dark) subject matter in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment