Just started Part III of HBO's John Adams miniseries. Parts I & II featured amazing screenwriting and spectacular art direction. Solid acting as well from Giamati, Laura Linny and the dick cop guy who made House give up his pills. I found the portrayal of Ben Franklin very interesting as well.
The cinematography, however, is abysmal. The handheld technique is very good for creating a quasi-documentary, experiential feeling, but the choice of angles for the lock off shots, some of the framing and The worst: who thought dutch angles were a good idea? I thought Battlefield Earth would have put this on the cinematic back burner for at least another decade. Thankfully, I haven't seen one yet in Part III, so perhaps it went to the theme of chaos and uncertainty in the first two episodes.
Overall, very well done, and an enjoyable series so far. If I were to imagine how some of these events actually occured, something like this would come to mind.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment